Government Regulations

Article Index

'Unregistered healthcare practitioners'

Homoeopaths, like many complementary medical practitioners are designated 'unregistered healthcare practitioners'.

An unregistered healthcare practitioner is a practitioner who is not required to be registered under legislation or who provides health services that are unrelated to their registration. Examples include homoeopaths, naturopaths, psychotherapists and therapeutic masseurs.

Most complementary medicine professions are self-regulating by providing their own registration body. This body sets educational standards according to Government guidelines and imposes a Code of Conduct on its registrants.

All AHA Professional members are registered with the Australian Register of Homoeopaths (ARoH) and abide by the register's Code of Conduct and Standards of Practice. ARoH registration requires that practitioners are qualified to the educational national standard, have on-going professional indemnity and public liability insurance, hold a current first aid certificate and undergo regular practitioner development.

By joint agreement most state governments have introduced a code of conduct for unregistered health practitioners, which practitioners in the respective states need to display in their clinic. The legislation and code of conduct can be accessed at these links for different states:








Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)

Homoeopaths, along with other complementary practitioners, are also regulated by the Therapeutic Goods administration with regard to advertising and therapeutic claims.

Homoeopathic practitioners are exempted from legislation that covers the 'Manufacturing of therapeutic goods':

where the preparation is for use in the course of his or her business and:

  1. the preparations are manufactured on premises that the person carrying on the business occupies and that he or she is able to close so as to exclude the public; and

  2. the person carrying on the business:

    1. supplies the preparation for administration to a particular person after consulting with that person; and

    2. uses his or her judgement as to the treatment required.

Over the counter (OTC) sale of homoeopathic medicines

Some homoeopathic preparations are available through health food stores and pharmacies. Most of these are mixtures advertised for specific conditions, for example cough.

The AHA does not provide advice on the use of such medication and always advises that you contact a practitioner for a proper assessment and homoeopathic treatment.

Manufacturers of homoeopathic preparations need a license. For more information refer to the TGA website:

Corporate Members